One thing that I like about scones is their simplicity. No rolling pin required. No cutting out with a cutter. No muss. No fuss.
Yet, they are super tasty and versatile. With this super simple scone recipe, you can add any fruit that suits your fancy- blueberries, raspberries, peaches, apples, raisins, etc. Or, bake them as I have today, and serve them with a selection of jams, jellies, preserves, and butters. My favorite addition is homemade strawberry jam. Yum!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cold unsalted <g class=”gr_ gr_421 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep” id=”421″ data-gr-id=”421″>butter,</g> cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg lightly beaten for egg wash
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Line a baking sheet with a [url href=”http://amzn.to/1EU5Qsk” target=”_blank”]Silpat[/url].
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, until mixture has the texture of coarse meal.
- Whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture. Gently stir to combine, making as few turns as possible to keep the dough <g class=”gr_ gr_426 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace” id=”426″ data-gr-id=”426″>light</g>.
- Turn out dough onto a work surface, and gently knead <g class=”gr_ gr_423 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep” id=”423″ data-gr-id=”423″>dough</g> once or twice just to incorporate flour.
- Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick round.
- Cut into 12 wedges.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 22 minutes.
- Transfer scones to wire racks to cool.
- Serve with an assortment of jams and <g class=”gr_ gr_422 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace” id=”422″ data-gr-id=”422″>butters</g>.
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Make Your Own Recipe Binder -
- Homeschool Planning Printables with HP -
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner -
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs -
- Easter Time Bunny Huts -
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches -
- 5 Satisfying Yet Simple Snacks -
- 5 Ways You Can Help a Grieving Mama Celebrate Special Days -
- It’s Not Worth It- Don’t Drive Distracted -
- One Big Yet Simple Step for Quality Sleep -