Guest post from Erin Odom
In today’s still-shaky economy, it seems almost impossible for some mothers who desire to stay home with their children to be able to do so. Some families need extra income to be able to pay the bills and provide food on the table.
Yes, those families exist. My family is one of them.
My husband and I desire for me to stay at home with our children. (I am not criticizing if you decide to work outside the home. Each person must decide for themselves where God is leading you. Is there a way to make staying at home a reality? It may not always be easy, but, to use the old cliché: where there is a will, there is a way.
Why Work from Home?
For mothers, who want to stay home, yet cannot afford to stay home and pay bills, working from home becomes key. When I went back to work full-time when my oldest was 6 weeks old, it ripped my heart out. Thankfully, I only had to work until she was 6 months. I determined to find a way to stay at home–even on my husband’s income as a high school teacher in one of the lowest paying states.
When our oldest was still a baby, I started freelance writing for several newspapers. At the same time, I balanced a bi-weekly tutoring job and teaching bi-weekly Spanish lessons to a home school family. These side incomes were not only helpful but necessary for our family to stay afloat during this time. I continue to write for the newspapers, bring in some income through blogging, edit eBooks and work as a virtual assistant for another blogger.
Working from home has afforded me the potential to be the primary caretaker of our daughters–and save hundreds of dollars on daycare fees every month.
Finding a Work-at-Home Job that Works for You
My experience is in journalism, and even when having children seemed like a lifetime away, I remember thinking that my degree would be conducive to working from home. There have been times when I wished I was more crafty, so I could make something to sell to others. I also have wished I was a better saleswoman, so I could buy into a direct-sales company (like Mary Kay or Pampered Chef), but that’s just not me. I am a writer.
I urge every mother take a look at her skills–her gifting–while seeking out opportunities to work from home. Do you play the piano? Why not teach lessons from your home while your children are napping? Are you a master seamstress? Try your hand at sewing custom, boutique-style clothing and selling them on Etsy.
Some other work-at-home mom ideas include the following:
- in-home tutoring
- bookkeeping for small businesses
- freelance writing, Simple Blogging, or go from Blogger to Entrepreneur
- direct sales
- being a virtual assistant
- making and selling anything from clothes to gourmet foods to MadeOn Lotion body care products or become an Etsy Mompreneur
Next month, I’ll be tackling how to stay organized as a work-at-home mom. While working at home may seem like a dream (and, in many ways, it is), it is hard work. Sure, I may be able to do it in my pajamas while nursing a baby, yet it’s a tremendous balancing game and not for the faint of heart. But you can make it work.
In the meantime, here are some of my favorite resources to get you started:
- Tell Your Time: Good time management is vital to your success as a work-at-home mom. This eBook will get you started. I’m certainly still a work-in-progress here!
- How to Have your Cake and Eat it, Too: Think your dreams for working from home can never become a reality? In this eBook, Mandi Ehman, of Life…Your Way, tells you how she’s doing it.
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom. In Money Saving Mom’s series on working from home,Crystal goes in depth on the various revenue streams available to work-at-home moms.
Do you work from home? If so, what is your work-from-home job? If not, what is holding you back from starting a work-at-home career?
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- 7 Cost Increases to Prepare For Before Retirement -
- 5 Quick & Easy Dinners for Busy Days -
- Easy Steps to Get and Stay Organized in Under 10 Minutes -
- 5 Ways to Build an Emergency Fund with Very Little Money -
- Creating An Inviting Atmosphere In Your Home -
- Mouth-watering Garlic Herb Cheese Bombs -
- Animals And The Creativity Of God -
- Game Day Recipe Round up! -
- Heart-breaking News and How You Can Help -
- Quick & Easy – Planning For Your Best Day -