Ahh, this dish is so simple to make! Don’t be intimidated! Instant Pot French Onion Soup is simple, but tasty and impressive!
Way back in high school, my favorite class was French. I took four years of French classes. To this day, oh so many years later, there are some French words and phrases that just stick with me.
One fun part of French class was being a member of French Club. We took trips, visited restaurants, and tried to improve our French together.
A highlight for me was going to a French restaurant and ordering “classic” French food. We enjoyed escargot, French Onion Soup, Coq au Vin, and Crème Brûlée. It was a decadent meal, but obviously memorable since high school graduation was nearly 30 years ago for me!
Instant Pot French Onion Soup:
I make French Onion Soup occasionally. A few of my family members don’t really care for onions, and let’s face it, that is the base of this soup!
To make this soup, I used vegetable stock instead of the classic beef stock. My vegetarian daughter, Mary, wanted to eat it, so I made this version for her.
It’s a pretty simple soup to make, especially if you have an Instant Pot!
Begin by slicing onions, not too thick and not too thin. Turn the IP on to saute, add butter and onions.
Saute the onions, stirring frequently.
Keep stirring. And don’t be alarmed by the fond on the bottom of the pot. The Instant Pot uses a stainless steel insert, which is easily cleaned. But, this fond will be combined with your soup.
Once you’ve added the stock and seasonings, close the IP lid, and set the valve to pressurize. Using the manual setting, set the timer for 10 minutes.
Allow the IP to do a NPR (natural pressure release), but don’t turn the IP off, allow it to stay on the keep warm setting.
Turn the oven to broil and toast the French bread.
In an oven-proof bowl, place a slice or two of French bread toast. Scoop the soup into the bowl, top with sliced Gruyere cheese. Place on a baking sheet and put it under the oven broiler until the cheese is browned and melted.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
You can find all of my Instant Pot recipes and tips at this page!
Need an organized place to keep all of those notes you’re acquiring for your magic pot? Enter your e-mail address below and download my two cheat sheets!
If you have an Instant Pot, I’d love for you to share your favorite recipe!
- 4 large onions
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 thick slices French bread
- 4 slices Gruyere cheese
- Slice onions, taking care to cut them evenly, not too thick and not too thin.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute.
- Add butter and olive oil to IP.
- Add onions to IP.
- Saute onions, stirring frequently.
- Once onions are cooked and have turned brown, add vegetable stock to IP.
- Scrape the fond from the bottom of the IP.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Attach IP lid, set valve to pressurize.
- Use the manual setting and set timer for 10 minutes.
- Allow IP to do a NPR (natural pressure release), with the IP remaining on the keep warm cycle.
- Turn oven broiler on.
- Toast the French bread slices.
- Spray oven-proof soup bowl with non-stick spray, add a slice of French bread toast to bottom.
- Ladle soup, with plenty of onions on top of bread.
- Add Gruyere cheese.
- Broil until cheese is browned and melted.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 544 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 2181mg Carbohydrates: 64g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 21g
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Make Your Own Recipe Binder -
- Chocolate Chip Cookies -
- Homeschool Planning Printables with HP -
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner -
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs -
- Easter Time Bunny Huts -
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches -
- 5 Satisfying Yet Simple Snacks -
- 5 Ways You Can Help a Grieving Mama Celebrate Special Days -
- It’s Not Worth It- Don’t Drive Distracted -