French Dip Sandwiches are one of those dishes that are messy but oh so worth it! The delicious, tender beef, smothered with cheese, in a chewy bun, dipped into rich beef broth . . . YUM!
The other day, I saw a video on Facebook (isn’t that where much of our recipe inspiration comes from these days?!) showing a recipe for French Dip Sandwiches made in the Crock Pot.
Except the recipe was simply adding two cans of stock and soup to a roast and cooking it. I’m more of a “from scratch” type of cook and try to avoid those type of recipes if I can. This is not to say that I don’t enjoy those types of recipes on super busy days, but I think that foods cooked from scratch not only taste better, they usually are much less expensive.
I digress, back to this yummy goodness . . .
When I was ready to make supper, I decided to try my hand at making French Dip Sandwiches in my favorite kitchen appliance, my trusty Instant Pot!
We have a freezer full of our own grass-fed and finished beef, so I pulled out two small roasts. Since I like to can foods to stock our pantry shelves, I pulled a quart jar of my canned beef stock off the shelf. Add in a large onion, and it was time to cook!
Okay, ready to create in the kitchen?!
Instant Pot French Onion Dip Sandwiches:
First, slice the onions thinly and place them in the Instant Pot insert along with the oil. Saute for 5-10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
Next, add the roast (frozen or thawed, doesn’t matter, this is the beauty of using the Instant Pot!) and broth.
Attach the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to pressurize, and set the timer for 20 minutes. Once the cooking time is up, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural pressure release (NPR.)
Remove meat and shred. Return to Instant Pot.
Slice open a hearty roll, add a generous amount of beef and onions, top with Provolone cheese.
Serve with a bowl of au jus on the side for dipping. ENJOY!
Have more onions on hand and want to make a delicious soup in your Instant Pot? How about French Onion Soup?!
Need more Instant Pot inspiration? Look no further than this page!
- 1 large beef roast (chuck, sirloin, your choice!)
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 quart beef stock
- 3 TB butter or olive oil
- Sturdy buns
- Provolone cheese
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute.
- Add butter (or oil) and onions.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add roast
- Add beef stock
- Attach lid and set valve to pressurize.
- Use the meat function, set timer to 30 minutes.
- Allow pressure to come down naturally (NPR)
- Remove roast and shred, return to Instant Pot.
- Slice buns, add drained meat, add cheese.
- Pour broth into bowls for dipping while eating.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 36mg Sodium: 448mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Make Your Own Recipe Binder -
- Homeschool Planning Printables with HP -
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner -
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs -
- Easter Time Bunny Huts -
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches -
- 5 Satisfying Yet Simple Snacks -
- 5 Ways You Can Help a Grieving Mama Celebrate Special Days -
- It’s Not Worth It- Don’t Drive Distracted -
- One Big Yet Simple Step for Quality Sleep -