If you made my No Cook Pizza Sauce yesterday, you now have a large empty can.
Here’s one use for that can!
Our charcoal grill finally saw its last use this pas summer. Until we invest in another, we are making do with an impromptu grill that my sweet Honey “cooked up” for me. We like to grill and this fills the bill nicely!
He used cinder blocks for the sides and the grates from our old grill.
To turn that empty can into a free charcoal chimney, here are the simple steps:
1. Using an old school bottle opener with a sharp tip, puncture 4 holes at the bottom of the can:
2. Using a regular can opener, cut the bottom off the can:
(notice the previously cut holes)
3. Place the can on top of the cooking grates, fill 1/3 full with wadded up newspaper:
4. Fill with charcoal:
5. Place hay under the grates. Light hay on fire to ignite the paper, and then the charcoal:
6. Allow charcoal to burn for 15-20 minutes, or until gray. Using gloves and pliers, CAREFULLY lift the can of charcoal, slide grate out from under can, allow charcoal to fall into burn area. (also notice the quality shoes, no bare feet!)
7. Return grates to cooking position, scrub off with grate cleaner, fill with food, and GRILL!
When we grill, we tend to grill BIG. This is a great time-saving tip. Grill an assortment of meats. You will now have yummy grilled meats to re-heat and serve throughout the week. One of our favorites is grilled Italian Chicken.
*DISCLAIMER- Use care and caution when working with hot coals, sharp metal, and fire.*
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Make Your Own Recipe Binder -
- Homeschool Planning Printables with HP -
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner -
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs -
- Easter Time Bunny Huts -
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches -
- 5 Satisfying Yet Simple Snacks -
- 5 Ways You Can Help a Grieving Mama Celebrate Special Days -
- It’s Not Worth It- Don’t Drive Distracted -
- One Big Yet Simple Step for Quality Sleep -
Super neat! That is worth a try! I am sure my older kids would have fun doing this with my husband 🙂
It’s certainly better to have the real thing as it’s designed for this purpose. But, in a pinch, this works great! 🙂
Chimney Cowl says
New creative idea use of charcoal chimney grills the meats. Use of this we can reheat the food and serve through the week.