We are leaving for the Teach Them Diligently convention in Nashville this week. This will mean that I am not home to cook meals. Also going with me are our daughters, they would normally step in to do some cooking for me.
Most of our meals are cooked from scratch. This is great for both our health and budget. It is not so great, however, when I am going to be away from home for a few days. If I am not home, not much cooking can happen. My daughters don’t share my love of cooking, They will cook easy meals, but putting together an entire meal from freezer to table is not their idea of a good time.
Since cooking from scratch is what we are used to, I try to leave easy to re-heat meals for my hubby when I am going to be away for more than a day.
I am putting together a menu of foods that I can prepare ahead of time and leave in the frig for my hubby and son to re-heat while we are gone.
But what will we eat- tips for when Mama is away
Lunches & Suppers:
Lunch meats for roll ups or sandwiches
Grilled chicken breasts- to eat as is, in salads, in quesadillas, in tacos, and wraps
Individual meat loaves
Tossed salad- for portability, make Mason Jar Salads
Pre-chop veggies for stir fry
Pre-cook rice (re-heat by adding a bit of water and warming in the microwave or on the stovetop)
Pre-cook pasta (re-heat by running hot water over the pasta in a strainer)
Hard boiled eggs- to eat as is, or in a salad
Cut up fruits such as cantalope, watermelon, pineapple, and honeydew
Cheese and crackers
This list is by no means exhaustive. What would you add?
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches -
- 5 Satisfying Yet Simple Snacks -
- 5 Ways You Can Help a Grieving Mama Celebrate Special Days -
- It’s Not Worth It- Don’t Drive Distracted -
- One Big Yet Simple Step for Quality Sleep -
- 5 Easy Ways to Fill Your Home With God’s Word -
- 9 Tips to Rock Homeschooling and Housekeeping at the Same Time -
- Sweet and Savory Strawberry Recipes -
- Beauty in the Chaos -
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner -