As a homemaker of 26+ years, I am finally putting my health and wellness in the priority column. I’m here to encourage you to do the same, no matter how many years you’ve been a homemaker. Here are my top 5 wellness tips!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TeaProudly #CollectiveBias
I’ve finally gotten the message that if I don’t take care of myself, I’m really in no position to take care of anyone else. There are many areas that we need to focus, but today, I want to encourage you to focus on your wellness.
Before we begin, ask yourself a few questions:
Are you too busy? Are you so consumed with a to-do list that you don’t enjoy each day?
Do everyone else and their needs come first?
Do you feel that self-care is a selfish thing?
Do you have to cross off every to-do on your list before you can relax?
Are you overwhelmed with STUFF that needs your care?
Has it been so long since you had a full night of sleep that you can’t even recall what it feels like to be rested?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, it’s time to consider these wellness tips.
5 Wellness Tips for the Homemaker:
1. SLEEP- Please, dear homemaker, hear me. You must sleep well and enough. There are SO many health concerns are rooted in the lack of quality, restorative sleep. Recently, I wrote a post with 35 tips to a great night of sleep, so I won’t repeat that info again. Read that post to get some ideas (and a great night of sleep!) Just know how very, very important it is. I’m past the stage of being up with little people, but I still struggle at times with getting enough sleep. Currently, I’m still seeking a workable schedule due to my husband’s work schedule. We’ve gone from a very early morning beginning to our day (we used to get up at 3:30am) to a very late morning beginning (due to his working until 1-2am.) I see the effects of my lack of sleep and it’s concerning to me.
2. SIMPLIFY- Regardless of which season of life you are in, simplify! If you have a houseful of little people, downsize those toys and clothes. If you’re beyond the raising children stage, maybe you need to work to downsize the collectibles and decorations that take up space. For me, simplifying right now means a little of each- downsizing clothes, decorations, unused kitchen tools, and more. As I get rid of more stuff, I feel a little lighter. It’s freeing to not be tied down to stuff.
3. RELAX- Everyone has a different interpretation of relaxing. For some, it means watching a favorite tv show. For others, it’s taking a luxurious bath. For me, it’s sitting down outside with my wellness planner (download your copy below!), my favorite pens, worship music, and a cup of Bigelow Benefits Stay Welll – Lemon and Echinacea Herbal Tea. The Stay Well tea is my favorite, but I enjoy all of the teas in the Bigelow Benefits tea line. During the winter, it’s a warm cup of tea to take the chill off. During the summer, I make it an iced tea to cool off. Whatever your method of relaxation, just be sure to DO IT!
4. ROUTINE- I believe most people do better with a routine. Even if the routine is somewhat loose, having a guideline for each day gives you a framework to follow. Children do better when they know what is expected of them and adults do too! I use a couple of planners to plan out this routine. Meal planning is a part of this routine. Having a routine for laundry, cleaning, etc means you are on top of things and can fit in the relaxing time you so need as well as getting to bed on time!
5. GRACE- Most of all, give yourself and your family grace. Just because you have a routine you’d like to follow, recognize that life happens and we have to be flexible. Knowing that plans change and being prepared for such eventualities are key to being able to accept those changes with grace. When you are so stressed in trying to follow your schedule that you don’t enjoy life, it’s time to reevaluate the purpose of that schedule. For example, I used to know a woman who required lunch to be served at her home at noon. The problem with that was that she had a family who had many activities and it didn’t always work out that she was home to get lunch ready at noon. It caused much stress in her and her children each day- to get the meal prepared and consumed as well as the stress when it didn’t happen. I’m not suggesting that having a regular meal time isn’t a good thing, it is. I am suggesting that it’s a goal, not a set-in-stone-life-is-horrid-if-it-doesn’t-happen thing.
Please know that while I know these things, I don’t always follow them myself. Just the other day, I realized that a deadline was closer than I thought it was. My daughter gently reminded me that I have so many planners, these things shouldn’t be a problem for me. She’s right. I need to use those planners to their full potential. They don’t work unless you actually pull them out and use them!
I’m a work in progress, just like you. We’re all at different stages of life. You may do very well at one of these steps of wellness but suffer in another. Just know that we’re all in the same boat of life. Let’s help each other navigate these sometimes murky waters.
I invite you to try out my favorite teas, the Bigelow Benefits line. We all know how important it is to put good things in our bodies to help us stay strong. Since flavor is so important, leave it to this 70+ year old tea company, Bigelow, to create a line of delicious teas that are packed with goodness, all designed to support everyday wellness.
Take a gander at these choices available at your local store (I buy mine at Publix):
- Calm Stomach – Ginger and Peach Herbal Tea
- A blend of spicy ginger, soothing peppermint finished and sweet peach
- Sleep- Chamomile and Lavender Herbal Tea
- A calming, full-bodied floral lavender flavor with a sweet chamomile finish
- Stay Well – Lemon and Echinacea Herbal Tea
- Authentic Echinacea and crisp lemon flavor with a smooth, relaxing herbal finish
- Balance – Cinnamon and Blackberry Herbal Tea
- Sweet and spicy cinnamon top notes with a smooth balanced sweet and tart finish
- Refresh – Turmeric Chili Matcha Green
- Balanced green tea and matcha pair with earthy turmeric and a mild peppery kick
- Radiate Beauty – Blueberry and Aloe Herbal Tea
- Smooth and delicious fruity flavor with blueberry sweetness and subtle aloe notes
- Good Mood – Chocolate and Almond Herbal Tea
- Complex blend of smooth almond, sweet chocolate flavors and blackberry
Learn more about Benefits here: http://www.bigelowtea.com/Shop-Teas/Our-Brands/Benefits
Don’t forget to grab your wellness planner here! There are two versions included, color and black & white.
What steps are you taking to wellness? I’d love to hear them! Come on over to our Facebook page and share!
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Easter Time Bunny Huts -
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches -
- 5 Satisfying Yet Simple Snacks -
- 5 Ways You Can Help a Grieving Mama Celebrate Special Days -
- It’s Not Worth It- Don’t Drive Distracted -
- One Big Yet Simple Step for Quality Sleep -
- 5 Easy Ways to Fill Your Home With God’s Word -
- 9 Tips to Rock Homeschooling and Housekeeping at the Same Time -
- Sweet and Savory Strawberry Recipes -
- Beauty in the Chaos -