Guest post from Christie Hill
It was a long road. She dealt with congestive heart failure for ten years. We watched as she progressively grew worse. We offered her our home and our help, but on May 9, 2012 she died.
My mother-in-law loved Thanksgiving and Christmas. You could always count on her being in the kitchen, no matter who was planning on being home that day. Whether just her or the whole family; an entire meal was to be made.
I remember our first Thanksgiving together in her home in Alabama; great food, great fun.
And, I remember our last Thanksgiving together as she walked out the door of our home in frustration over her condition.
The holidays will be different this year. I’m almost certain my husband will cook in her honor, but to be honest; we haven’t even discussed it.
He’s a strong man. So strong that he preached her funeral. But, he’s still grieving and always will. And like most that lose a loved one, the holidays will be the hardest.
Do you know someone who lost a loved one this year or many years ago? If so, remember them this Holiday season.
Here are a few tips for reaching out to hurting friends this season:
- Give them a call. Your friend is most certainly grieving today and could use a phone call just to say, “I’m thinking about you.”
- Invite them over for dinner. Is your table big enough for one more guest? If so, extend an invitation for them to join you for the Holiday’s. Loneliness during this season is the worst feeling after losing someone you love.
- Stop by. If you’re out and about in the days leading up to Christmas, grab a small gift and stop in to visit.
- Pray for them. Even if you don’t make a phone call or extend a dinner invitation, pray for them. Pray that the Lord would heal their hearts and bring them comfort during this time.
Photo Credit: Carodean Road Designs
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Homemaker’s Goals for the New Year - December 15, 2014
- Quick & Easy – Christmas Meal Hacks - December 10, 2014
- Tips To A Well Planned Thanksgiving - November 17, 2014
- Simple and Practical Homeschool Routine - August 12, 2014
- Preparing Food for Maternity Leave - July 15, 2014
- Free Kids Chore Checklist - April 8, 2014
- 8 Questions to Ask When De-cluttering - March 25, 2014
- Spring Cleaning Checklists - March 11, 2014
- Confessions of a Homemaking Challenged Homemaker - February 24, 2014
- Overcoming Discouragement With Small Changes - February 11, 2014