We tend to eat Mexican often in our home. It’s one of our favorite food types.
I figured there has to be a way to make tasty Mexican fare at home, without the cost and junk that most store-bought items include.
This simple refried beans recipe fills the bill nicely!
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 qt pinto beans (I use home-canned beans, with no added flavorings), undrained
- ¼ cup Pace Medium Picante Sauce (or homemade variety)
- Pour oil into
largepan, then add pinto beans with can juices.
- Using a potato masher, break up beans into a smooth paste. I like to leave some beans rather large, but broken. They will continue to break down as they cook, so don't worry about getting all beans smoothed out.
- Stir in spices & salsa.
- Cook over medium-low heat until hot.
- Continue stirring so the beans do not dry out.
- If the beans are looking dry, add another TB of oil.
- Towards the end of cooking time, add about ¼ cup warm water and stir. This will make the beans fluffy and smooth.
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner - August 16, 2017
- Take Charge of Your Days with the Illustrated Faith Planner - August 14, 2017
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs - August 7, 2017
- 12 Weeks Without Our Girlie - July 24, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways to Have a Happy Dog - May 16, 2017
- 5 Wellness Tips for the Homemaker - April 10, 2017
- RITZ Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes - April 9, 2017
- Low Carb Crispy Chicken Tenders - April 5, 2017
- Movie Night with Low Carb Foods - March 27, 2017
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017