I know, I know, a true bagel has a hole in the center.
However, some of the goodness that you put on that bagel can slip right out of that hole! My Honey used to love cheese bagels and the cheese would melt and drip down onto the bottom of the toaster oven.
So, instead, I make bagels with no holes!
My bagel recipe is below. It’s a simple one to follow. 🙂
When forming the bagels, simply flatten the dough into a round shape, then indent the center a bit.
Allow to rise, then boil.
- 1¼ cups water
- 4½ cups whole wheat flour, milled on pastry setting
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 4 quarts water
- Combine water, flour, sugar, salt, butter, and yeast in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix on low speed using the dough hook until well-developed, about 10 minutes. To ensure the gluten has fully developed, pull off a walnut-sized piece of dough. With floured fingers, stretch the dough: if it tears immediately, the dough needs to be kneaded more. You are looking for a thin translucent "windowpane" effect.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, and let rise for 2 hours.
- Punch the dough down, place it on a lightly floured work surface, and use a dough scraper to divide the dough into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into flat round shape. Repeat with the remaining dough, and let the bagels rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot.
- Boil the bagels, three at a time, until they rise to the surface, about 1 minute, then gently flip to the other side, cooking for an additional minute.
- Remove the bagels with a slotted spoon and place them on the Silpat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the bagels begin to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner - August 16, 2017
- Take Charge of Your Days with the Illustrated Faith Planner - August 14, 2017
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs - August 7, 2017
- 12 Weeks Without Our Girlie - July 24, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways to Have a Happy Dog - May 16, 2017
- 5 Wellness Tips for the Homemaker - April 10, 2017
- RITZ Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes - April 9, 2017
- Low Carb Crispy Chicken Tenders - April 5, 2017
- Movie Night with Low Carb Foods - March 27, 2017
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017