One of my Dad’s favorite dishes was Chicken Cacciatore. It was one of my least favorites. I liked the flavor, but not the chunks. I didn’t care for stewed tomatoes nor chunks of onions and peppers. I also didn’t like the skin on the chicken.
While grocery shopping at Publix, I saw that they are celebrating their annual Viva Italia event again! This made me start thinking about a new Italian dish, beyond the basic spaghetti, lasagna, etc.
I shied away from making this dish on my own because of my recollections of it from my youth. I was hungry for the flavor and decided to see what I could do to make it more palatable to my taste, which just so happens to be the same as my family. Only one other person in my family likes mushrooms besides me, so I left them out. No one likes chunks of stewed tomatoes, onions, or peppers, so I chopped those up finely to include them. I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs to avoid the skin (and bones!)
Chicken Cacciatore is also known as Hunter’s Stew. It’s a hearty dish that is super simple to make, but impressive to serve. I hope you’ll give this version a try!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Italian sausage links, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-1/2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 sweet mini peppers, finely chopped
- 2 TB chopped garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz can Hunt's roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 1 8 oz can Hunt's tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 TB dried oregano
- 1-1/2 TB Italian seasoning
- ¼ ts red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in heavy pot over medium heat. Brown chicken thighs in oil, flip, brown other side. Add Italian sausage, cook until sausage is browned.
- Remove chicken thighs and sausage from pot, set aside.
- Saute onions and peppers in oil. When almost translucent, add garlic and cook lightly, taking care not to burn it.
- Add remaining ingredients, return chicken thighs to pot.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until thighs are cooked through.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Find some new inspiration on the Viva Italia site! Grab a few coupons while you’re there!
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Movie Night with Low Carb Foods - March 27, 2017
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017
- Homemade Corned Beef in the Instant Pot - February 28, 2017
- Connect With Your Teen with an Easy Movie Night - February 17, 2017
- Super Simple Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot - February 15, 2017
- Instant Pot Must-Have Accessories - February 13, 2017
- How to Make a Pet Bed in an Hour - February 7, 2017
- 2 Free Instant Pot Cheat Sheets - February 6, 2017
- Pasta Matchmaker for Recipe Inspiration - January 24, 2017
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce & Meatballs from Scratch - January 17, 2017