While I like to take advantage of prepared foods, my preference is to make foods from scratch as much as possible.
Instant Pot Spaghetti & Meatballs from scratch is so very simple to make!
In my search for spaghetti sauce and meatballs, most recipes that I have found call for jarred spaghetti sauce and frozen meatballs. These recipes are great if you have those items on hand or are not inclined to make your own.
Our favorite spaghetti sauce is homemade. We raise grass-fed & finished beef cows, so we have plenty of ground beef on hand. Thus, I prefer to make both of these items from scratch.
Typically, meatballs are formed, then baked in the oven. Once baked, they are added to the spaghetti sauce. There are two problems with this method.
First, the time involved in baking the meatballs and cooking the sauce. Second, the risk of overcooking the sauce. Even with a low flame, spaghetti sauce can take on a “cooked too long” flavor.
Need an organized place to keep all of those notes you’re acquiring for your magic pot? Enter your e-mail address below and download my two cheat sheets!
The Instant Pot solves both of these issues!
Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce & Meatballs from Scratch:
I mix up the meatball mixture, form into meatballs, add them to the Instant Pot, then add the sauce and spices. Stir gently to combine. That’s it!
Next, add a large can of tomato sauce. I buy the restaurant sized cans (105 oz) at Sam’s Club. It’s the perfect size for our family of 6, allowing for leftovers after a supper together.
Stir in the seasonings, attach the lid, turn the pressure release valve to pressurize, push the manual button, enter the cook time of 8 minutes, then allow for a natural pressure release (about 10-15 minutes.)
Seriously, that’s it.
I don’t cook the noodles with the sauce because I serve mine over spaghetti squash to enjoy a low carb meal while my children prefer to eat it with pasta.
I make the spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot as well. Normally, I cook the spaghetti squash first, then the sauce. While the sauce is cooking, I boil the pasta and cut up a salad. In about 35 minutes, supper is served!
However, if you do wish to cook the noodles with the sauce, just allow for a NPR of about 10 minutes. Then add your desired noodles and 1-1/2 cups of water. Replace the lid, set to sealing, and cook on manual for 5-6 minutes. Allow a NPR and serve!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- For the meatballs:
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 egg
- For the spaghetti sauce:
- 1- 105 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Tone's beef soup base
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- Combine meatball mixture, taking care not to overmix.
- Turn Instant Pot saute function on, allow to heat.
- Add olive oil to pot.
- Scoop meat mixture into meatballs, Roll the meatball to form a tight ball.
- Place each meatball into Instant Pot.
- Add sauce ingredients.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Secure the lid onto the Instant Pot.
- Turn the pressure release valve to pressurize.
- Push the manual button, set the timer for 8 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, allow for a natural pressure release. This should take 10-15 minutes. The Instant Pot will keep the spaghetti sauce and meatballs warm until ready to serve.
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- 9 Tips to Rock Homeschooling and Housekeeping at the Same Time - September 5, 2017
- Sweet and Savory Strawberry Recipes - August 28, 2017
- Beauty in the Chaos - August 27, 2017
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner - August 16, 2017
- Take Charge of Your Days with the Illustrated Faith Planner - August 14, 2017
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs - August 7, 2017
- 12 Weeks Without Our Girlie - July 24, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways to Have a Happy Dog - May 16, 2017
- 5 Wellness Tips for the Homemaker - April 10, 2017
- RITZ Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes - April 9, 2017