As a person who grew up with a very frugal-minded Mom, I am sometimes surprised when something I take for granted as the best way to do something is a new thing to someone else. Just goes to show me again the niche I have in my blog. 🙂
We like burgers, and we like fries. But, we don’t like bad burgers and we don’t like store bought bagged fries.
Making good French Fries is a simple process.
Homemade French Fries; the Easy Way!
Cut up Russet potatoes (there may be a better “fries” potato, but I use what I have on hand, and that is generally Russets) into slices of your liking. We like our fries a bit on the thick side, so that’s how I cut them up.
Place the cut up potatoes in salted water. Sometimes, If I have time, I’ll cut them up and let them soak in salt water all day. This allows the potatoes to absorb some salt. Either way, be sure to keep the fries well covered in water, or you’ll end up with brown potatoes.
Heat up the deep fryer (or pot of oil) to 375*. In small batches so as to not overcrowd the deep fryer, half cook the potatoes. They should be tender and still mostly white when you take them out. Pour the fries onto a paper bag lined pan to drain and salt. Add another small batch to the deep fryer. Continue frying in this manner until all the potatoes are half-cooked fries.
Turn the oil up to 400* and allow to heat up. Again working in small batches, deep fry the half-cooked fries to golden brown, or however dark you like your fries. Once you pull them from the deep fryer, allow them to drain for a minute, then pour them out onto a paper bag lined baking sheet. Salt again. Cover with a towel to keep warm. Continue frying until all fries are golden brown bits of yummy-ness. Serve promptly with liberal amounts of ketchup and enjoy!
Goes great with a yummy burger!
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017
- Homemade Corned Beef in the Instant Pot - February 28, 2017
- Connect With Your Teen with an Easy Movie Night - February 17, 2017
- Super Simple Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot - February 15, 2017
- Instant Pot Must-Have Accessories - February 13, 2017
- How to Make a Pet Bed in an Hour - February 7, 2017
- 2 Free Instant Pot Cheat Sheets - February 6, 2017
- Pasta Matchmaker for Recipe Inspiration - January 24, 2017
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce & Meatballs from Scratch - January 17, 2017
- Embrace Grace - January 15, 2017