Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. Are you scrambling around trying to find just the right gifts to bestow upon your loved ones? While I do set aside a few special things just for the two of us, most of the day is dedicated to all 6 of us.
Way back in 1994, when our first-born was just over a year old, my hubby took me out to eat just the two of us, for Mother’s Day. I enjoyed the time alone with him, but I missed my baby. It also occurred to us that SHE was the reason I was celebrating this special day. It didn’t make sense to leave her behind and celebrate just the two of us, because it was no longer just the two of us.
From that point on, we’ve had at least monthly date nights for our alone time, but all holidays have been celebrated family style. We like it better this way. Our eldest is now nearly 20 years old and we know that the time we have with our babes in our home is so fleeting. We want to soak it all up!
For Valentine’s Day, we start the day off with a heart-y breakfast. 😉
This is a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs and biscuits.
For lunch, we like simple soup and sandwiches. I make homemade tomato soup and serve it with grilled cheese croutons. For the sandwich in this meal, I made cheese quesadillas and cut them into heart shapes.
Our supper is usually something that everyone loves, like lasagna, spaghetti & meatballs, or chicken alfredo. This year, we are having steak and baked potatoes. I found the cutest potatoes in the 50 pound sack I bought! (I’ve canned 30 pounds of them, we are eating the rest). There were 3 heart shaped potatoes in the bag! Aren’t they adorable?
For dessert, I like to keep the heart theme going. Here are two of our desserts:
We’ll all make homemade Valentines to give to each other. Lastly, we’ll end the evening with a family movie.
I love time alone with my husband. I also love time with my babes. The day will come, far too quickly for my taste, that it will be just the two of us here. I want to make memories while the time is available. My husband and I will have a date night soon and enjoy each other’s company. But, for Valentine’s Day, we celebrate it family style. 🙂
How about you? What do you do to celebrate special days like Valentine’s Day?
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner - August 16, 2017
- Take Charge of Your Days with the Illustrated Faith Planner - August 14, 2017
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs - August 7, 2017
- 12 Weeks Without Our Girlie - July 24, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways to Have a Happy Dog - May 16, 2017
- 5 Wellness Tips for the Homemaker - April 10, 2017
- RITZ Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes - April 9, 2017
- Low Carb Crispy Chicken Tenders - April 5, 2017
- Movie Night with Low Carb Foods - March 27, 2017
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017