Do you know how easy it is to have fresh, good for you, great-tasting waffles? No preservatives, no junk. It’s super simple and here’s my recipe!
Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup applesauce
2 TB oil
2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat, half AP flour)
2 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
Combine liquid ingredients in a bowl, stirring to break up eggs and combine wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, breaking up any clumps.
Add liquid mixture to the dry mixture and combine well, but do not over mix, as this will cause a tough waffle.
Allow batter to rest for 15 minutes or so.
Heat up waffle iron and scoop batter into unit to cook.
Makes 16 waffles
I use a green #12 disher (2.67 oz) to easily make uniform waffles. It’s a cleaner way to get the batter into the waffle iron as well. 🙂
If you’d like to make these ahead and freeze for simple breakfast meals, simply cook the pancakes as recipe states. Then lay the pancakes out until they are completely cooled. I do this on a baking sheet. When I do this recipe for the freezer, I normally triple the recipe. Or, make extra from a meal and freeze those.
Place this pan in the freezer to flash freeze. I have a large chest freezer and this pan took about 2 hours for the waffles to be frozen solid.
Once frozen, remove and place in a labeled Ziploc bag. Keep these in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy them! They can be heated in either the microwave or the toaster oven. Add butter and syrup (or, if you’re like the peanut butter lovers in my family, add peanut butter and syrup!)
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Movie Night with Low Carb Foods - March 27, 2017
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017
- Homemade Corned Beef in the Instant Pot - February 28, 2017
- Connect With Your Teen with an Easy Movie Night - February 17, 2017
- Super Simple Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot - February 15, 2017
- Instant Pot Must-Have Accessories - February 13, 2017
- How to Make a Pet Bed in an Hour - February 7, 2017
- 2 Free Instant Pot Cheat Sheets - February 6, 2017
- Pasta Matchmaker for Recipe Inspiration - January 24, 2017
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce & Meatballs from Scratch - January 17, 2017