Sometimes I dream of having a housekeeper. Someone who would take care of the laundry, regularly clean the kitchen, and take out the trash. Then, I snap out of it.
Right before my eyes are my 6 growing boys. Who needs to hire outside help when I’ve already got an incredible workforce at my fingertips!
I may have 6 able-bodied boys but they need training to get the job done right. This requires a time commitment on my part and lots of patience! There are some short-cuts you can take to make on-the-job training more effective and less taxing.
The most enthusiastic workers in your home are probably under age 4. Little ones love to work alongside mama! They enjoy learning new skills.
But they don’t always do the job to mom’s standards. Many of us overlook this gold mine of enthusiasm and call upon our older children to get the job done or just do it ourselves. These little ones are eager learners and with a little effort, can complete an age-appropriate task beautifully.
An Easy Way to Teach Little Ones to Set the Table
I picked up this trick years ago from a magazine. This is how I teach all my children to set the table. Explaining a place setting is difficult for a little one who does not know his right from his left.
Does your child enjoy matching games? This nifty place mat allows a child to simply match silverware, napkin and plate to each picture.
What you need:
- plastic place mats for each person in the family (plus a few extra for when you have guests)
- a permanent marker
You can find these types of place mats for $1 at the dollar stores. Choose one with few designs so you have room to add the place setting pictures.
Now, setting the table isn’t as much of a chore but a matching game! Not only will you have happy little helpers but you’ll have a beautifully set table too!
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Homemaker’s Goals for the New Year - December 15, 2014
- Quick & Easy – Christmas Meal Hacks - December 10, 2014
- Tips To A Well Planned Thanksgiving - November 17, 2014
- Simple and Practical Homeschool Routine - August 12, 2014
- Preparing Food for Maternity Leave - July 15, 2014
- Free Kids Chore Checklist - April 8, 2014
- 8 Questions to Ask When De-cluttering - March 25, 2014
- Spring Cleaning Checklists - March 11, 2014
- Confessions of a Homemaking Challenged Homemaker - February 24, 2014
- Overcoming Discouragement With Small Changes - February 11, 2014