As busy homemakers, it’s sometimes tough to call it the end of the day and unwind. Many years ago, after one exhausting day that seemed to never end, my hubby told me something that I’ve kept in my mind ever since. “As a homemaker, YOU determine when your work day ends.”
Maybe it means that the dishes don’t get done tonight. Or maybe it means you eat a convenience food for supper. Or maybe it means the laundry waits until tomorrow.
Setting a time to be “done” has been one of the best things I’ve learned. We all need some down time, some relaxing time, some unwinding time.
If you’re in the season of life where you have little people, finding this time can be a bit more challenging. Little people do have needs that we must tend to. While it’s good to establish routines, life happens and routines go out the window some days. I would still recommend having a set “done” time. Done in the kitchen. Done with the laundry. Done with picking up the toys. Done. Sit and relax, preferably with your hubby. It’s far too easy to lose sight of why you are doing this thing called life together when you haven’t talked to each other, really talked, in days.
Maybe you’re in the season that I am in, that of older children. Our oldest child is 22, and youngest child is 12. She doesn’t need me to tend to her basic needs. She needs me more as a sounding board and help. It’s easier to get help and not have to do all of the home keeping on my own. However, older children also have social lives and activities which means you’ll be out later in the evening sometimes transporting those children. This can also mean things at home don’t get completed.
Or maybe your children are grown and on their own. The task of keeping your home falls back to you, without children to love on, teach, and train.
No matter the season you are in, time to unwind is a necessary part of life. It’s far too easy to just keep going and going, and eventually wear yourself out. Not only is it not the healthiest way to live, it can cause you to be less than pleasant to live with too.
Here are my favorite ways to unwind. And, trust me, I don’t do any of them near enough, just like you.
7 Tips to Help a Homemaker Unwind
1. Journal- this is an excellent way to get all of those jumbled up thoughts out of your mind. I find it helps me put things in perspective by writing them down.
2. Make a list of the day’s triumphs- this is especially helpful on really tough days. There’s always something to celebrate, even if it’s just getting supper on the table.
3. Personal care time- take a bath or a long shower. Polish your nails. Something soothing, but not too time-consuming, that reminds you that you are indeed a woman.
4. Watch a favorite tv show- for me, that would be When Calls the Heart. It takes me to a more simple time and is an enjoyable hour of “escape” that anyone can watch with me. I just love seeing the period clothes, styles, and furnishings. It’s such an engaging show that any stress or worry I may have seems to melt away for the hour that I’m watching my favorite show.
5. Indulge in a treat- this doesn’t mean have an ice cream sundae every night. It means a treat, maybe it’s apples & cheese, or a couple of pieces of dark chocolate.
6. Read a book- traveling to another place and time while reading is a pleasant past time for many. I prefer to read for information rather than entertainment, but it’s a nice way to end an evening either way.
7. Make a to-do list for the next day- sometimes having that big long to-do list in your mind is stressful by itself. Making a list gets it out of your mind and onto paper. Planning out the next day can also start the day on a good note, hopefully leading to an easier day.
What do you do to unwind? Do you have a system in place? I’d love to hear your tips and suggestions!!
*Disclosure- I was compensated for this post, but my love for When Calls the Heart is real, and all mine! *
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- 3 Simple Ways to Have a Happy Dog - May 16, 2017
- 5 Wellness Tips for the Homemaker - April 10, 2017
- RITZ Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes - April 9, 2017
- Low Carb Crispy Chicken Tenders - April 5, 2017
- Movie Night with Low Carb Foods - March 27, 2017
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017
- Homemade Corned Beef in the Instant Pot - February 28, 2017
- Connect With Your Teen with an Easy Movie Night - February 17, 2017
- Super Simple Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot - February 15, 2017
- Instant Pot Must-Have Accessories - February 13, 2017