Marriage is a wonderful thing. The camaraderie, companionship, support, encouragement, and relationship is such a blessing. What we choose to focus on and celebrate will help make our marriage a happy one or not. We’ve been happily married for nearly 25 years now. I’d like to think that we know a little something about a happy marriage. 😉
My 12 Habits of a Happy Marriage:
1. Laugh often. Life is always going to throw curveballs at you. Having a sense of humor is a necessary component of a happy marriage. Humor can diffuse a tense situation. Use it often!
2. Remember. Remember the positives. Focus on the things that he does that make you feel loved. We all forget things. We all don’t do all that we should. Don’t hold him to a higher standard than you hold yourself to.
3. Kiss. My motto is that there is always time for a kiss. We kiss 5 times as “our” number. Our special day is the 5th, so most everything that we do involves a 5. Silly, I know, but it works for us We kiss before departing, whether that’s leaving the room or leaving the house. We don’t separate without it.
4. Communication. This is a HUGE one for any happy marriage. You simply must communicate. We’ve never argued, and I attribute some of that to the fact that we communicate so well and so often. We already know what the other is thinking before a decision has to be made.
5. Remind. Remind him of your love by sending notes in his lunchbox, writing love notes on the bathroom mirror, leaving notes in his car. Just remind him daily of your love.
6. Physical contact. I’m big on physical contact. My Honey, not as much. But, I believe it’s an important part of a healthy relationship. We hold hands whenever we are close- sitting on the couch, driving, walking, etc. If we are not involved in something, we typically are holding hands.
7. Be vocal. I sing my Honey’s praises everywhere, be it in person or online. Everyone likes to hear good things about themselves. Purpose to only share the good. If you have an issue with your husband, recall #4 and TALK TO HIM.
8. Cherish. The time that we have with our husband is way too short, with work and other obligations. Make that time happy.
9. Details. How does he like his coffee? Does he like to sit in a certain seat? Does he have a favorite blanket? Does he like the end of his sheet tucked in? Does he use a certain product that you can keep stocked up on for him? Does he prefer a certain ketchup (or other food item)? Take notice of these details and take care to make them happen.
10. Say I love you. Three simple words that convey so very much. Say it and say it often.
11. Secrets. Have some things that are secret between the two of you. Things that no one else in the whole world knows about you and your relationship. This creates a bond known only by you. It’s a wink and a nod that shows you have something special, shared only with him.
12. Encourage. Be his biggest cheerleader. Many times, we can see strengths in our husbands that they may overlook. Encourage him to pursue those strengths.
While I know that life gets busy and we are all swamped with to-do lists, be sure that the most important person in your life feels loved and adored.
What would you add to this list? What are your habits of a happy marriage?
Read more on this topic with these posts!
- Back to School Dual Enrollment Student Planner - August 16, 2017
- Take Charge of Your Days with the Illustrated Faith Planner - August 14, 2017
- 40+ Instant Pot Recipes for Your Summer BBQs - August 7, 2017
- 12 Weeks Without Our Girlie - July 24, 2017
- 3 Simple Ways to Have a Happy Dog - May 16, 2017
- 5 Wellness Tips for the Homemaker - April 10, 2017
- RITZ Mini Salted Caramel Cheesecakes - April 9, 2017
- Low Carb Crispy Chicken Tenders - April 5, 2017
- Movie Night with Low Carb Foods - March 27, 2017
- 15 Frugal Ways to Stretch Your Tax Refund - March 13, 2017