Well the weather out there is frightful . . . but this oyster stew’s delightful! This really is one of the best – all time – feel good – yummy – comfort foods. It will warm you up and soothe you with the rich delicious creaminess – and it has cheese and bacon. So, what more could you ask for in a cold weather stew?
If you don’t like oysters – you can even simply add more potatoes or substitute a can of clams instead. As long as you don’t forget the cheese and bacon – you really can’t go wrong.
Loaded Potato Oyster Stew:
- 1-2 dozen shucked oysters or 1-2 cans of oysters according to your preference
- 10-15 large red potatoes (washed & chopped into 1 inch cubes)
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1 whole chopped onion
- 1 can Carnation milk
- 4 cups milk + ½ gallon (whole or 2%)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Corn starch for thickening (1-2 Tbs.)
- *Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped chives, crumbled bacon
- Wash and chop 10 large red potatoes about an inch cubed- boil in a large pot of water until just soft.
- Drain potatoes, set aside about 2 cups- and add the rest back to the pot with 2 tbs. butter.
- Salt and pepper potatoes.
- Add 1 can of milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups milk- whole or 2% with another 2 tbs. butter.
- Add 1 whole chopped onion.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add as much milk as required to fit the amount of servings you need. I made a full large pot (pictured above) and used about ½ gallon of milk, plus the can of Carnation. Simmer slowly until stew begins to thicken.
- Scoop a ladle full of hot milk into a cup and mix in 2- 3 tbs. of flour or corn starch until lumps dissipate. Add to pot to help thicken the stew. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Be sure to keep the stew stirred so the milk doesn't stick and burn on the bottom of the pot. Add reserved potatoes back into stew.
- Add oysters and juice of oysters (partial juice if using canned oysters). Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes before serving.
- *Garnish if desired: add shredded cheese on top, fresh chives, crumbled bacon for "loaded" potato and oyster stew.